Alexander Macomb Chapter
Mount Clemens, Michigan
Note: Websites listed below will take you away from our site. Return to our website via back button.
Cannon Burying Ground
Caring for a cemetery. A commitment by the Alexander Macomb Chapter of the NSDAR.
Bequeathed as an endowment to the Alexander Macomb Chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution. the chapter is responsible for providing, in perpetuity, supervision, maintenance, proper use, and care. Following is the story of the Cannon Cemetery Foundation.
On August 23, 1872, the Cannon Cemetery Foundation was established by four sons and three grandsons of Pearl and Mary (Fuller) Cannon. Their purpose: "Having a proper regard for the care of the grounds containing the last resting place of our dead, and cherishing with tender solicitude their memory deeming it highly proper that our family and descendants, so far as practical should bury on common ground, we form ourselves an Association."
In the mid 1870s, a Detroit, Michigan, architect was consulted as to the design of the cemetery. The suggestion was made for a 'family circle' arrangement, similar to the one used in Gettysburg National Cemetery. At the center of the cemetery is a monument of octagonal shape, which was designed by W.C. Dwinelle of Barbour and Moore of Pontiac, Michigan, at the time, the monument was considered the finest monument ever made in the state, and is representative of the memorial at Bunker Hill.
Between the plots of Pearl and Mary (Fuller) Cannon is a memorial erected by the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution in 1928. This marker informs people that Mary was a 'Real Daughter' of a Revolutionary War Soldier, Lieutenant Isaiah Fuller.
Of interest: Irving D. Cannon, son of Stephen Benjamin Cannon and Sarah Tweddill, actually lived in the Cannon Burying Grounds during the warmer months. Irving served as its Superintendent of Grounds as well as the caretaker of the cemetery from 1938 until his death in 1953.
Currently, anyone who can establish and prove a lineal, bloodline descent from any individual buried within the cemetery can request burial in any of the available areas.
Cannon Burying Ground
Location: Corner of 26 Mile and Mound Roads, Washington Township, Michigan
Website Updated: 09/15/2017
Website: Hosted by DAR of Michigan