Alexander Macomb Chapter
Mount Clemens, Michigan
Note: Websites listed below will take you away from our site. Return to our website via back button.
Presented below are two articles about the woman who founded our Chapter and a copy of our Charter.
Re-printed verbatim from a section of an unidentified newspaper
Daughters American Revolution---Mt. Clemens.
Alex. Macomb Chapter.
On Saturday, June 10, 1899, 12 ladies met at the home of Mrs. Helen Smart Skinner, the organizer of the chapter, and appointed the following officers:-
Regent-Mrs. Helen Smart Skinner.
Vice Regent-Mrs. Elizabeth Hubbard High.
Secretary-Miss Fandira Crocker.
Historian-Mrs. Frances Miller Russell.
Treasurer-Mrs. Frances Norton Price.
Registrar-Mrs. Kathleen Lee Crocker Knight.
Those served four years. Charter members, besides the officers: Miss Florence Barnard, Miss Margaret Crocker, Miss Mary Crocker, Mrs. Marion Taylor Ferris, Mrs. Carrie C. Lungerhausen, Miss Alice Louise Skinner, Mrs. Jennie May Hubbard Young.
It was voted at this meeting to call the chapter the Alexander Macomb Chapter, because of the services of Alexander Macomb to his country, because he was a leading citizen of the state, and because his name was associated with the early history of Macomb County.
Story re-printed verbatim from a section of an unidentified newspaper.
The work of our chapter is as follows:-
1899-1900-Sent supplies to soldiers of regular army at Manila; bought large colonel flag; paid $10. to Continental Hall fund, and $5. toward erection in the city of Detroit of monument in memory of General Alexander Macomb. Meetings were held at homes of different members; membership, 16. 1900-1901-Six new members. Committee appointed for purpose located the burial places of Revolutionary soldiers and thirty of the war of 1812. All were decorated on Decoration Day. The memorial cannon dedicated to the memory of heros of 1812 was unveiled on courthouse square, Mt. Clemens, under the auspices of our chapter. Invitations were extended by the chapter to the officers and executive boards of Louise St. Clair Chapter and the "United States Daughters of 1812", of Detroit; also the state regent, state secretary, and regents of the Ann Arbor and St. Clair Chapters. A luncheon was given by the chapter to its members and their visiting friends at the home of the regent, Mrs. Skinner, after which the chapter marched to the square to participate in the exercises of the day. Present with us was Miss Macomb, a grand-niece of Major General Macomb, and to her was entrusted the pulling of the string that unveiled the cannon dedicated to that valiant warrior. After garlands were placed on the cannon, an eloquent address by the Hon. Edgar Weeks, our representative in congress, was listened to by the thousands present. The day was ideal, and was in every way an inspiration to us to continue our efforts for patriotism.
1901-1902-Membership, 27. More graves were located, six being graves of soldiers of 1776, making a total of 62 graves marked. A "national directory" and 14 volumes of lineage books were added to our possession. The chapter took part twice in public exercises. On the day of the funeral of President McKinley, we attended as a chapter union services in the Methodist church which had previously been decorated by a committee of the D. A. R. It was a privilege of the chapter to attend and participate in the exercises of the new high school building. After the dedicatory address by President Angell, of the University of Michigan, the beautiful bust of Washington, modelled by Wilson McDonald, of New York, was unveiled by one of our members, and presented to the school in the name of "The Alexander Macomb Chapter," our regent, Mrs. Skinner, making the presentation speech. The bust is an inspiration to the pupil and teacher.
1902-1903-Membership, 31. The chapter lost its beloved vice-regent, Mrs. Elizabeth Hubbard High. The chapter attended the funeral and later representatives of the chapter met at the cemetery and placed above the last resting place of their departed one, an appropriate marker as a token of esteem and love. A committee sent four boxes of supplies to the soldiers. The marker designed by our committee for the graves of the soldiers of 1776 was unanimously accepted as the marker for all chapters in the state. Efforts were made to erect a boulder on the site of the Moravian Settlement.
1903-1904-Our chapter was for the first time represented at the national congress. More supplies sent to the soldiers. On May 14th, 1904, several members of the chapter drove to the small town of Davis, and placed one of our markers on the grave of Josiah Crossman, a hero of the Revolution, and of the war of 1812. Appropriate exercises were held, assisted by the Davis school. This was the first marker of its kind used in Michigan. It was designated by Mrs. Marion Ferris Taylor and Dr. Emma Adams Decker, and later was adopted by the state as the Michigan marker for all Revolutionary soldiers graves. One-half of the net proceeds of sales of markers went to Continental Memorial hall.
1905-1905--Membership, 36. Usual box was sent to Manila, and were represented in national congress; and our chapter fitted up an alcove in the public library to be used by the school children for the historical references; sent annual report to state regent, and to the Smithsonian Institute.
1905-1906-Held a "Colonial Tea." Sent $15. to Continental Hall fund.
Source: Re-printed verbatim from original charter.
Whereas, Miss Florence Barnard, Miss Fandira Crocker, Miss Margaret Crocker, Miss Mary Crocker, Mrs. Elizabeth Hubbard High, Miss Katherine Lee Crocker Knight, Mrs. Carrie C. Lungerhauzen, Mrs. Frances Norton Price, Mrs. Frances Miller Russell, Mrs. Marion Ferris Taylor, Miss Alice Louise Skinner, Mrs. Helen Marion Smart Skinner and Mrs. Jennie May Hubbard Young, who are approved members of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, did, under the authorization of the National Board of Management, on the10th day of June 1899, organize a Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, in the city of Mt. Clemens State of Michigan to be known as the Alexander Macomb Chapter; and whereas the following officers of said chapter have been elected, to wit: Mrs. Grant Skinner as Regent, Mrs. W. C. High as Vice Regent, Miss Fandira Crocker, as Recording Secretary, blank, Corresponding Secretary, Mrs. L.A. Knight, as Registrar, Mrs. L.C. Price as Treasurer, Mrs. K. E. Russell as Historian.
Now, therefore, the said members and their successors and associates are hereby declared to be a regularly organized Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, to be known as the Alexander Macomb Chapter; and as such are entitled to all the privilege's, and subject to all the limitations of the Constitution and By-Laws of the National Society.
Given under our hands and the seal of the National Society this 6th day of October 1899.
Counter signed; by Francis Parsons Edwards State Regent of Michigan
National No. 467
Mrs. Mary Margaretta Fryer Manning-Maiden name Fryer President General
Eleanor Washington Howard V.P.G. in charge of organization
Mrs. Alice T. Akers-Husband name Albert Recording Secretary General
Note: Some information was missing or could not be read in the original Charter. Documentation was received from NSDAR
For larger view of Original Charter, click on photo.
Website Updated: 09/15/2017
Website: Hosted by DAR of Michigan